Swiftwater Rescue Course
Every spring, Wild Blue Yonder Rafting offers a 16-hour Swiftwater Rescue Course (Level I & II) through the Royal Lifesaving Society. Although this is mandatory for our guides to take, the course is also open to the public. Level I teaches river dynamics, safety and self-rescue techniques. Level II includes advanced skills and rescue techniques for assisting others; it's recommended for white-water kayakers, rescue teams and guides. It's a good course for Search & Rescue organizations, and we have trained many Canadian Rangers.
Prerequisites: Standard First Aid CPR must provide valid certificate. Should be comfortable in water and able to swim 50 meters head up (front crawl) in deep water while wearing a PDF.
COST: $275.00 per person + gst
Group Rate for 6 or more.
- Rescue philosophy & general rules
- Rescue organization: principles & procedures
- Prevention of emergencies
- The ladder approach & personal safety
- Self rescue skills
- River crossings
- Offensive & defensive river swimming
- Obstacles & entrapments
- Rescue equipment
- Throw bag use
- Rope systems & knots
- Mechanical rescue systems
- Use of rescue craft
- Emergency assessment & care techniques